Monday, April 5, 2010

Avocado Pudding

avocado pudding


Is avocado fruit or vegetable? Most Asians associate avocado with dessert and something sweet, but westerner always think that avocado is savory. My Russian neighbor was really shocked, when I made Es Teler (Indonesian dessert consisted of avocado, coconut milk and jackfruit). And I was astounded when I saw her eating avocado with cayenne pepper and salt.

Don't get me wrong! I love guacamole with tortilla chips! But the thought of eating bread with salty avocado as spread is really something that I need to get used to.

Anyway, I'm gonna stick with thinking avocado as fruit for now.
Here is a simple dessert of avocado pudding


avocado pudding ingredients


avocado pudding


Avocado Pudding
1 ripe avocado (cut in half and peeled; mashed half of the avocado and chopped coarsely the other half) - Don't forget to pour 1 Tbs lemon juice on the chopped avocado (I forgot to do that and the chopped avocado on the pudding oxidize very fast and let's just say that it looks very unappetizing)
10 g Agar agar powder
500 ml milk

100 ml water
200 g sugar

  • Mix agar agar powder, milk, sugar, water and mashed avocado in a pot
  • Heat the mixture over low fire and stir well
  • Pour in the chopped avocado into the mixture (The chopped avocado is there for a crunchy texture, If you don't like fresh fruit in your pudding just mashed the whole avocado)
  • Once the mixture boils, Set aside and pour the agar agar mixture into molds
  • Chill in the fridge for about one hour
  • After the pudding is set, overturn pudding on a plate and serve

4 comments:

  1. hm... about avocado, try to eat them as toast spread. They're REAL GOOD!!! :p
    Sometimes i mix Avocado w/ Nutella.

    btw while we're at toast, Peanut Butter and Banana goes well tOooo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha.. I eat avocado with salt and rice now (they're good like that!) I'm a convert big time! :D

    I have to try this seriously =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ LiDdo ... Avocado and nutella sounds great. I must try them one day

    @Cherry, avocado with salt and rice? I don't know if I'm ready for it. It still sounds too exotic for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @cher:: oh my, realy?? .... avoc + salt + rice but i shall give it a try. Sounds healthy haha

    and i do think avocado tastes like EGG!! :p
    i love egg!

    ReplyDelete